Model Boating Lake Th Read more [...]
The ‘Mary Pym’.
The clock tower, was presented to Sheringham by a lady called Mary Pym in 1901. The building on which the clock sits was erected in 1862 at a cost of £220. It started life as one of the town’s reservoirs receiving piped water from local springs.
Women at the time collected water in buckets, often carried from their shoulders in the manner of milkmaids. During the First World War an artillery unit watered its horses there and it once even contained a dog trough. Believe it or not there have been plans in the past to pull the building down, but it has survived to become an ‘icon’ of Sheringham which has been turned into a popular seating area.
The town clock is the starting point of The Sheringham Trails and is part of a separate town Heritage Trail, which has its own booklet. The Sheringham Trails leaflet and Heritage Trail booklet are available from the Tourist Information Centre and other outlets.